July 17, 2010

Sewing Projects #3,4,5




After several longs stints of staring at my clothes in the wardrobe I have found a serious lack of skirts amongst the lot. So I have been determined to fill in the blanks with skirts that I made myself! I have made skirts before when I was a teenager, but nothing more than a simple A-Line pattern.

My first skirt was a puffy skirt sew-along. I think this was a bit ambitious for my first attempt as it wasn't from a store-bought pattern and it had a shirred back!! I nearly broke my machine trying to do the shirring. I had to take it back to the shop and they severely 'tsk tsked' me. But in the end it took me four days to make the three day skirt. Its a bit too small around the waist as I have to put it on over my head.

My second skirt is my favorite thus far. I really wanted a denim skirt like one I had seen in the gap for 50 pounds (my computer doesn't have a pound sign as it is American). I used McCall's 5430. It wasn't exactly like the gap skirt but close enough, though it does not agree with the roaring Scottish wind.

My third skirt is New Look 6872. It was really easy to make and I love the fabric. I just bought some Liberty fabric so I think I will make another one from this pattern.

I think my wardrobe is going to be 80% skirts soon!

3 comments:

  1. omg, you are making beautiful skirts.
    and yes, the denim skirt is WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww you're so nice. I went for 8 months only wearing skirts (a New Year's resolution) so I needed to make a bunch to fill out my wardrobe.

    By the way, I love all the clothes you make! You are a super talented seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!
    I didn't make any clothes for myself ever since I learn I was pregnant. It is too difficult to adapt the pattern and after 1 month, it doesn't fit. but next summer, I will make many skirts and dresses :)

    ReplyDelete