September 4, 2011

Crochet Project 1


I have been drooling over the megadoily for months now and I am determined to actually make it for my new flat. One problem though, I don't know how to crochet. I attempted crocheting when I was young but failed miserably. I am dyslexic and I have trouble understanding complex things without working it out my own way. This is why it took me ages to learn to knit, but I think because of years of fairly successful knitting that I was able to pick up the craft.

So last week I dug out my hooks that I use for knitting projects and found some wool and learned some basic stitches. In two days I was making these floral inspired granny squares from this project in the UK magazine Mollie Makes (Issue 2). I am struggling with gauge quite a bit so I've decided to do the first step multiple times and then the next step all at once so hopefully it will stay consistent.

To be honest, I've never really liked crocheting. The results look like less sophisticated knitting and I've never seen a crocheted item that I liked better than a knitted one, but I think that there is a time and place for crochet and this is it. I watched the sitcom Roseanne all the time growing up because my family was just as dysfunctional as theirs and they always had a granny square blanket on the back of their couch. I think that if it looks retro enough it works so here goes.

Once this is done then I'll move on to the rug!!! I'm so excited about it.

2 comments:

  1. That megadoily is to die for! I am actually proficient in crochet but I MIGHTILY agree that knitting is much better looking. I'm terrible at knitting, I've successfully finished a scarf but it's perhaps a sport learned best "in person" vs. online. I adore adore adore granny squares though :) Maybe you and I can do a granny swap? Haha! Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim. I'm just starting to piece my blanket together but my hands are really stiff from so much crocheting. I've been lucky enough to be able to pick up needlecraft from books and some online tutorials but I really struggled when I was first learning knitting. I have a two friends who are pregnant right now so they will be getting some made for them soon.

    ReplyDelete