August 1, 2014

Courgette Muffins


Two posts in a week! Whoa what's going on here? I guess I'm feeling inspired.

At my first photo assignment this morning I was given some courgettes (aka zucchini) and I felt I could try to make something I'd never made before. I have been making sugar-free ice cream and raw treats over the past few months but I've never baked anything. I've also never baked without eggs.

I use ground flax seeds mixed with water, which is known as vegan eggs, to make a gelatinous liquid. I've used it to bind dishes like my spicy bean burgers and it works great. I don't think I will ever go back to baking with eggs again and the best part is that I can like the spoon without fear of food poisoning!

Now, just because something is sugar-free doesn't mean it is low calorie. There are a lot of sweeteners on the market but I don't used anything refined or filled with crazy chemicals (hello Splenda). For this recipe I used Agave. There is a lot of criticism of Agave as a natural sweetener but I usually avoid it for its high calorie content. I usually opt for Truvia, which is a form of Stevia.

The muffins came out okay. The texture was perfect. It was moist on the inside and crunchy on top. The problem was with the olive oil. I don't know if the recipe (which I adapted from this one) called for any kind of olive oil. Maybe there was too much in it or maybe my olive oil is super strong but that is what the muffins mostly tasted like. You could barely taste the other ingredients. So this is pretty much a fail, though my husband has just come home and is eating them so maybe not. I will try to make these again sometime will less/different oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment