November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving




We celebrated our Thanksgiving on the day after the actual turkey day as it is not a holiday in the UK. Boo. They are still mad we got away from them! But Billy got to learn all about US history when Ted (Edinburgh via San Francisco) and his 9 year-old daughter Keara joined us for the meal.

Which president made it an official holiday? Abraham Lincoln! See you're learning too. But this year I decided to try and make a few things that I usually get shipped over from scratch.

First was the all important pumpkin pie. I wrote the recipe down without bookmarking it so I'm not sure which one it was. But I bought a pumpkin, roasted it for an hour, peeled it and pureed it. I made the dough from scratch too. It came out a bit too jiggly but it tasted amazing. Definitely much better than using the canned stuff. The taste was more authentic.

The crescent roll are a must on my Thanksgiving table. At one point in my life I remember having a sliver of turkey, a small heap of mashed potatoes and corn and about 6 crescent rolls! I love it so much that I eat the raw dough straight out of the pack. I know its gross but mm so good.

Well my first batch of dough decided it didn't want to rise. So my lovely husband stepped in and used his bread making magic (he makes us pizza from scratch on a regular basis) and made the perfect crescent roll. It was much bigger than the store bought kind and oh so good. Everyone should try and make it themselves. Billy had to switch around the recipe a bit as it came out too wet when I made it.

And to top it all off it started snowing just before Ted and Keara had to leave. It was a perfect Thanksgiving. The only thing that would have made it better is if my momma was there to enjoy it with us. You can see the rest of my photos from the night on my flickr account.

No comments:

Post a Comment